BlueWorld.org is a world geography web site for people who want to know more about the regions and countries that make up our world. It was designed to help researchers, students, and laypersons find information and news from the many nations of our world, quickly, easily, and in one place. Use the menus above to get started.
The site is still a work in progress, so expect new countries to be added over time.
World News Headlines
- Actress and singer Olivia Newton-John dies aged 73on August 8, 2022
Olivia Newton-John, star of Grease and multi-platinum selling singer, dies aged 73, her Facebook page says.
- Russia halts US inspections of nuclear arsenal under New START treatyon August 8, 2022
Russia "temporarily" suspends nuclear warhead inspections under the New START treaty with the US.
- Blinken Africa trip: The world should not dictate to the continenton August 8, 2022
The US's top diplomat is trying to curry favour amid growing influence from Russia and China.
- US Senate passes sweeping climate, tax and healthcare packageon August 8, 2022
The bill seeks to lower the cost of medicines, increase corporate taxes and reduce carbon emissions.
- Russia using Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant as army base - Ukraineon August 8, 2022
Officials say Russia has been launching artillery attacks from the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant.
- Israel-Gaza: Unusual pre-emptive hit by Israel pays offon August 8, 2022
The truth brings relief to Gazans, but the lack of a peace process means this is only temporary.
- How I taught a vulture to fly with meon August 8, 2022
Brazilian tour guide Israel Mendes adopted Urú, a vulture, after finding him abandoned in a bin.
- Amanda Todd: Dutch man convicted of sexually extorting teenageron August 8, 2022
Amanda Todd took her own life weeks after posting a video in which she detailed her harassment online.
- In pictures: Drought hits Europe's rivers and cropson August 8, 2022
Weeks of baking heat have caused big problems for Europe's food producers and river traffic.
- China resort lockdown: Escaping to Sanya only to face fresh curbson August 8, 2022
Many in Sanya had arrived hoping for relief from strict Covid-control measures in bigger cities.
- Climate change: Alps glaciers melting faster as heatwaves hiton August 8, 2022
Meltwater flows from the glaciers, which may be set for their highest mass losses in 60 years.
- Tighter export controls on electronics could hamper Russia's war effort - reporton August 8, 2022
Russian weapons could be permanently degraded by tougher export controls in the West, a think tank says.
- Roger E. Mosley: Magnum P.I. actor dies aged 83 after car crashon August 8, 2022
Roger E. Mosley starred opposite Tom Selleck in all eight seasons of the original Magnum P.I.
- Ukraine: Any attack on a nuclear plant is 'suicidal', says UNon August 8, 2022
António Guterres says inspectors must be given access to the site, after it was shelled at the weekend.
- Leandro Lo: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu champion shot in São Paulo clubon August 8, 2022
Doctors say Leandro Lo is brain dead after being shot; the suspect has handed himself in.
- It's like a warzone - Haitians surrounded by turf warson August 7, 2022
An estimated 60% of the capital Port-au-Prince is now considered “lawless”, human rights groups say.
- Kenya election 2022: Charts that explain the nationon August 7, 2022
The BBC tracks the crucial issues facing Kenyans as the country chooses a new president on 9 August.
- Anti-abortion Gen Z-ers see cause as social justiceon August 7, 2022
Anti-abortion Gen Z activists think their fight isn't at odds with the beliefs of other young activists.
- The newborns fighting for survival in Afghanistanon August 7, 2022
The BBC visits a ward where mothers are forced to share beds and have no access to pain relief.
- US President Biden leaves White House for first time since Covidon August 7, 2022
The US president is leaving for his home state of Delaware after testing negative for the virus.
- Mexican mining rescue: Ten miners trapped undergroundon August 7, 2022
The 10 workers are stuck underground in Coahuila after a tunnel wall collapsed in a mine shaft.
- Commonwealth Games: How climate change is changing life around the worldon August 7, 2022
Climate change is here. But it is also everywhere. Three Commonwealth athletes explain how it is changing their sport and homes.
- Hamida Banu: Missing India woman found in Pakistan 'can't wait to go home'on August 7, 2022
Hamida Banu had been trafficked to Pakistan 20 years ago by an agent promising her a job in Dubai.
- Island trip lays bare US-China tussle in the Pacificon August 6, 2022
A speech by senior US officials to commemorate a WWII Pacific battle comes amid tensions with China.
- Commonwealth Games: Stories from cricket's last appearance at the Gameson August 6, 2022
The behind-the-scenes story of cricket's last appearance at the Commonwealth Games, as told by the players themselves.
- Partition: My journey to the ‘place no-one spoke of’on August 5, 2022
Sparsh's family fled in terror 75 years ago - it wasn't spoken about until his grandfather agreed to talk.
- Uganda: I was forced to leave idyllic childhood homeon August 5, 2022
Nisha Popat looks back 50 years to when dictator Idi Amin forced her family out of Uganda
- Why Australia will work harder to build ties with Indonesiaon August 5, 2022
- Obituary: Gary Schroen, the CIA spy sent to get Osama Bin Ladenon August 5, 2022
Gary Schroen, one of the first Americans on the ground in Afghanistan after 9/11, has died aged 80.
- Where does Taiwan crisis leave Biden's China policy?on August 4, 2022
Nancy Pelosi's visit was an explosive development in a brittle relationship. Many risks lie ahead.