News From Africa
- Afcon stadium crush: 'The force behind forced us to fall'by BBC News - Africa on January 26, 2022 at 12:36 pm
An eyewitness caught in the stadium crush that killed eight people at the Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon describes the moment things went wrong.
- Sadio Mane: Senegal criticised after striker plays on despite suspected concussionby BBC News - Africa on January 26, 2022 at 11:57 am
Senegal are criticised after Sadio Mane continued playing despite suffering suspected concussion in a "sickening collision" with Cape Verde goalkeeper Vozinha.
- Afcon 2021: Alex Iwobi says Nigeria fans 'deserved more'by BBC News - Africa on January 26, 2022 at 11:34 am
Nigeria midfielder Alex Iwobi says Super Eagles fans "deserved more" following their exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.
- Afcon 2021: Tom Saintfiet wants respect for The Gambiaby BBC News - Africa on January 26, 2022 at 10:26 am
Coach Tom Saintfiet says he wants The Gambia, ranked 150th in the world, to be "respected" and regular participants at the Africa Cup of Nations.
- BBC Komla Dumor Award 2022 launchedby BBC News - Africa on January 26, 2022 at 3:32 am
The BBC is seeking a future star of African journalism for the BBC World News Komla Dumor Award 2022.
- Madagascar: Deadly tropical storms cause flooding, landslidesby UN News - Africa on January 25, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Two separate tropical weather systems in Madagascar have left at least 34 dead and triggered flooding and landslides, particularly in the capital, Antananarivo, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported on Tuesday.
- UN mission calls for probe into deadly attack in South Sudanby UN News - Africa on January 25, 2022 at 6:06 pm
Authorities in South Sudan must investigate a report of deadly intercommunal violence in Jonglei State earlier this week, the UN mission in the country, UNMISS, said on Tuesday.
- Bachelet deplores military coup in Burkina Fasoby UN News - Africa on January 25, 2022 at 4:47 pm
UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet deeply deplores this week’s military takeover in Burkina Faso, her office, OHCHR, said on Tuesday.
- Africa Cup of Nations: At least eight killed in crush at Cameroon stadiumby BBC News - Africa on January 25, 2022 at 4:43 pm
Dozens more people are injured in the incident outside a football stadium in Cameroon.
- Afcon 2021: Quarter-final at Olembe Stadium to be moved after fatal crushby BBC News - Africa on January 25, 2022 at 1:52 pm
The Africa Cup of Nations quarter-final due to be held at the Olembe Stadium will be moved after a fatal crush outside the ground on Monday.
- Africa Cup of Nations: Football fans run towards Paul Biya stadium before crushby BBC News - Africa on January 25, 2022 at 1:29 pm
At least eight people have been killed in a crush outside an Africa Cup of Nations football match in Cameroon.
- Afcon 2021: Morocco make Afcon quarter-finals with Malawi winby BBC News - Africa on January 25, 2022 at 12:25 pm
Morocco are through to the last eight of the Africa Cup of Nations after a 2-1 victory over stubborn Malawi.
- Netflix movie sparks morality row in Egyptby BBC News - Africa on January 25, 2022 at 12:03 pm
The film, which includes a scene of an actress removing her underwear, stirs anger in Egypt.
- Afcon 2021: Hosts Cameroon see off 10-man Comoros with outfield player in goalby BBC News - Africa on January 24, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Cameroon narrowly beat 10-man Comoros at the Africa Cup of Nations, despite playing against a side with an outfield player in goal and an extra man for 83 minutes.
- Guterres calls on Burkina Faso coup leaders to ‘lay down their arms’by UN News - Africa on January 24, 2022 at 9:56 pm
Following Sunday’s coup in Burkina Faso carried out by sections of the armed forces, the United Nations’ Secretary-General is following the developments in the landlocked West African nation with deep concern.
- Burkina Faso: Moment military announces takeover on live TVby BBC News - Africa on January 24, 2022 at 6:54 pm
An army officer says the military have seized power and overthrown President Roch Kaboré.
- Unified Libya will come only via ballot box, ‘not the gun’, Security Council hears by UN News - Africa on January 24, 2022 at 5:53 pm
Libya is at a “delicate and fragile juncture in its path to unity and stability”, the UN Political Affairs chief told the Security Council on Monday, urging the international community to remain united in supporting national elections postponed last month.
- Afcon 2021: Celebrations in The Gambia as fans celebrate progressby BBC News - Africa on January 24, 2022 at 4:28 pm
There have been celebrations in The Gambia as fans celebrated the team reaching the Final 16 of Afcon 2021.
- Afcon 2021: Nigeria interim coach Augustine Eguavoen dismisses reports of exitby BBC News - Africa on January 24, 2022 at 4:11 pm
Nigeria interim coach Augustine Eguavoen denies reports he will quit following their exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.
- Kenya's 'hidden epidemic': Gender-based violenceby BBC News - Africa on January 24, 2022 at 12:00 am
When Covid hit Kenya, cases of gender-based violence exploded but many cases still go unreported.
- Sudan protesters: Ready to die for freedomby BBC News - Africa on January 23, 2022 at 1:19 am
Those opposed to the coup say they will stay on the streets until the generals leave power.
- From Milan to Glasgow, young Moroccans commit to fighting climate changeby UN News - Africa on January 22, 2022 at 1:25 pm
A new way to recycle large amounts of coffee grounds; a platform connecting young African activists; technology to produce electricity from ocean waves or recycle plastic. A new energy-efficient construction method - an innovative carpooling app.
- Kenya's River Yala: Mystery and heartbreak of the dead bodiesby BBC News - Africa on January 22, 2022 at 12:57 am
At least 19 corpses have been found dumped in western Kenya and relatives want to know how they died.
- UN relief chief pledges support for Nigeriaby UN News - Africa on January 21, 2022 at 9:44 pm
Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths, has ended a four-day visit to Nigeria, pledging support and promising the United Nations will do everything it can to help rebuild the lives of vulnerable families who have been impacted by violence and extremism there.
- 1.5 million children lack treatment for severe wasting in Eastern and Southern Africaby UN News - Africa on January 21, 2022 at 4:25 pm
At least 1.5 million children are not receiving life-saving treatment for severe wasting in Eastern and Southern Africa, warned the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) on Friday.
- Tigray: Eritrean refugees ‘scared and struggling to eat’ amid aid obstaclesby UN News - Africa on January 21, 2022 at 3:11 pm
For the first time in weeks, aid teams have reached refugee camps in Ethiopia’s Tigray region, only to find that some Eritrean nationals living there have likely died of preventable diseases, while others are “scared and struggling to get enough to eat”, the UN Refugee Agency, UNHCR, said on Friday.
- West Africa: Extreme poverty rises nearly 3 per cent due to COVID-19by UN News - Africa on January 20, 2022 at 9:14 pm
Extreme poverty in West Africa rose by nearly three per cent in 2020, another fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic, a UN-backed report launched on Thursday that looks at the socio-impact of the crisis has revealed.
- UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres: 'Fighting must stop in Ethiopia'by BBC News - Africa on January 20, 2022 at 7:40 pm
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres says hostilities must end in Ethiopia so aid can be distributed effectively in the country.
- Cases drop for first time as Africa’s fourth COVID-19 wave ebbsby UN News - Africa on January 20, 2022 at 4:11 pm
For the first time in Africa since the peak of the Omicron wave, weekly COVID-19 cases dropped significantly and deaths dipped, the World Health Organization (WHO) informed on Thursday.
- UN chief lauds ‘demonstrable effort to make peace’ in Ethiopiaby UN News - Africa on January 19, 2022 at 5:27 pm
The UN Secretary-General on Wednesday said he was “delighted” to learn that “a demonstrable effort to make peace” in Ethiopia is finally underway, according to information relayed to him by the African Union High Representative for the Horn of Africa.