|Area Total||2,780,400 sq km|
|Climate||mostly temperate; arid in southeast; subantarctic in southwest|
|Natural Resources||fertile plains of the pampas, lead, zinc, tin, copper, iron ore, manganese, petroleum, uranium, arable land|
|Imports||$63.97 billion (2017 est.) partners: Brazil 26.9%, China 18.5%, US 11.3%, Germany 4.9%
|Exports||$58.45 billion (2017 est.) partners: Brazil 16.1%, US 7.9%, China 7.5%, Chile 4.4% (2017)|
|Population||44.7 million (July 2018 est.)|
|Ethnicity||European (mostly Spanish and Italian descent) and mestizo (mixed European and Amerindian ancestry) 97.2%, Amerindian 2.4%, African 0.4% (2010 est.)|
|Language||Spanish (official), Italian, English, German, French, indigenous (Mapudungun, Quechua)|
News about Argentina
- Viking Polaris vessel was struck by a giant unexpected wave, A US passenger on an Antarctic cruise diedon December 3, 2022
A US passenger on an Antarctic cruise died and four other guests were injured after the Viking Polaris vessel was struck by a giant unexpected wave while crossing the Drake Passage heading for Ushuaia in Argentine Tierra del Fuego province.
- Ozone hole makes third appearance over Argentine Patagonia in 2022on December 3, 2022
Argentine scientists warned this week about the possible consequences on people's skin stemming from the ozone hole positioning itself over the Argentine provinces of Santa Cruz and Tierra del Fuego, which is taking place for the third time in 2022.
- Mercosur countries "are not safe to drink the Water", CDC advice for travelerson December 3, 2022
In a long list of "countries where it is not safe to drink water", figure all South American countries and Mercosur members with the exception of Chile.
- Argentina grants political asylum to former Ecuadorian Minister convicted of corruptionon December 2, 2022
Citing humanitarian grounds, the Government of Argentina has granted diplomatic asylum to the Ecuadorian national Maria de los Angeles Duarte Pesantes, a former official under former President Rafael Correa.
- Congressman Milei, the lesser evil for Argentina's elections next yearon December 2, 2022
A Mendoza-based polling firm has carried out an innovative study on the most likely candidates to run for president of Argentina in 2023 and found that Libertarian Deputy Javier Milei was deemed the "lesser evil."
- Argentina to oppose Kosovo troops training at Falklandson December 2, 2022
Argentina's Foreign Ministry Thursday said it would strongly object to the presence of Kosovo troops in the Falkland Islands even if for training purposes because it would be in violation of UN resolutions.
- Argentine congressman gets drugs for his son with cerebral palsy after social media cryon December 2, 2022
Congressman Ricardo Buryaile of the opposition Together for Change (Juntos por el Cambio - JxC) got the medication for his son with cerebral palsy late Thursday "thanks to the solidarity of the people."
- Argentine President okays purchase of "new" Tango 01 aircrafton December 2, 2022
Argentine President Alberto Fernandez Thursday approved the purchase of a replacement for the Tango 01 aircraft through a budget extension to be funded with a CAF loan.
- Argentine judge sets conditions for vaccinating children against COVID-19on December 2, 2022
A federal judge in the Argentine seaport of Mar del Plata ruled that promoting COVID-19 vaccination for children should be halted until the manufacturers supply those responsible for the minors (i.e. their parents or caretakers) with all pertinent information regarding side effects and other possible consequences.
- Argentina's new Transport Minister sworn inon December 2, 2022
Rosario lawyer Diego Giuliano was sworn in Thursday as Argentina's new Transport Minister. He was appointed to succeed Alexis Guerrera, who resigned earlier this week citing personal "health" problems.
- Hebe de Bonafini obituaryby Nick Caistor on November 30, 2022
Human rights activist who co-founded Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo to protest against abuses by the Argentinian military regimeA line of heavily armed soldiers guarded a presidential palace. Opposite them, walking silently in a circle, wearing their trademark white headscarves, was a group of mainly middle-aged women, and prominent among them was Hebe de […]
- The Guardian view on bearing witness: when the mourners too are gone | Editorialby Editorial on November 27, 2022
The death of a leader of Argentina’s Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo raises the question of how we can continue to remember“We conquer death, dear children,” proclaimed Hebe de Bonafini, leader of Argentina’s Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo. She devoted decades to ensuring that her sons, “disappeared” by the military junta in the late 1970s, were kept […]
- ‘The sheer scale is extraordinary’: meet the titanosaur that dwarfs Dippy the diplodocusby Robin McKie Science Editor on November 26, 2022
One of the largest creatures to have walked the Earth is to become the Natural History Museum’s new star attractionIt will be one of the largest exhibits to grace a British museum. In spring, the Natural History Museum in London will display the full cast of a skeleton of a titanosaur, a creature so vast it will have to be shoehorned into the 9-metre-high […]
- Lost and found: noisy, tame and very active, Argentina delights in giant otter’s returnby Graeme Green on November 24, 2022
Decades after the world’s biggest otter disappeared from the country, a kayaking trip revealed a lone male swimming in the Bermejo River“This really is a big animal,” says Sebastián Di Martino, conservation director of Rewilding Argentina, emphasising the “giant” in giant otter (Pteronura brasiliensis). “It can be 1.7 metres long … the […]
- Saudi Arabia declares public holiday to mark World Cup win over Argentinaby Martin Chulov Middle East correspondent and Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro on November 22, 2022
Region rejoices as Saudi team ‘writes history’ against South American powerhouse in group stageSaudi Arabia has said Wednesday will be a national holiday as, on the Jeddah Corniche by the Red Sea, in the heart of the capital Riyadh and in towns and villages across the country, its seismic 2-1 World Cup win over Lionel Messi’s Argentina was celebrated […]