|Area Total||2,780,400 sq km|
|Climate||mostly temperate; arid in southeast; subantarctic in southwest|
|Natural Resources||fertile plains of the pampas, lead, zinc, tin, copper, iron ore, manganese, petroleum, uranium, arable land|
|Imports||$63.97 billion (2017 est.) partners: Brazil 26.9%, China 18.5%, US 11.3%, Germany 4.9%
|Exports||$58.45 billion (2017 est.) partners: Brazil 16.1%, US 7.9%, China 7.5%, Chile 4.4% (2017)|
|Population||44.7 million (July 2018 est.)|
|Ethnicity||European (mostly Spanish and Italian descent) and mestizo (mixed European and Amerindian ancestry) 97.2%, Amerindian 2.4%, African 0.4% (2010 est.)|
|Language||Spanish (official), Italian, English, German, French, indigenous (Mapudungun, Quechua)|
News about Argentina
- Pilcomayo river under environmental threat in northern Argentinaon August 8, 2022
Authorities in the Argentine province of Salta have issued a recommendation not to bathe, fish, or drink water from the Pilcomayo river pending studies undertaken by the Secretariat of Water Resources after the collapse of a dam in Bolivia.
- Argentina and China share "territorial integrity" concept. Pelosi's trip to Taiwan "a provocation," Argentine ambassador in Beijingon August 8, 2022
Argentine controversial ambassador to China, Sabiuo Vaca Narvaja openly supported Beijing's position condemning US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi visit to Taiwan, which he described as "a provocation" and "a problem for the international community".
- Argentina and Uruguay potential customers of South Korea's military equipmenton August 8, 2022
Located in a part of the world with numerous and evolving security challenges not least North Korea, an aggressive neighbor with nuclear weapons and the largest per capita standing army in the world, South Korea has earned a solid reputation as a high quality military equipment manufacturer for land, air, sea and space, and could in a near future have the […]
- Macri tells G7 ambassadors his alliance is ready for 2023on August 6, 2022
Former Argentine President Mauricio Macri told G-7 ambassadors in Buenos Aires that his political alliance Juntos por el Cambio (Together for Change - JxC) was “ready” for 2023.
- Puebla Group approaches Argentine President to funnel agendaon August 6, 2022
The forum bringing together leftwing leaders known as the Puebla Group is to bring Argentine President Alberto Fernández a proposal for the convergence of the different integration mechanisms existing in the region, former Colombian President Ernesto Samper (1994-1998) announced Friday.
- Joint bid to host 2030 football World Cup launchedon August 5, 2022
Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, and Chile have announced a joint bid to co-host the 2030 football World Cup finals under the motto "Together 2030." The intended 2030 tournament will feature 48 teams and some 80 matches will be played in 14 stadiums. The last World Cup to be held in South America was "Brazil 2014
- International reports cast doubts on Argentine peso's exchange rateon August 5, 2022
Despite Superminister Sergio Massa's announcement that he would not moot for a devaluation of the Argentine peso, banking entities have issued separate reports raising doubts as to the newly-appointed official's strategy, with the spotlight on the exchange rate issue.
- Uruguayan senator said that Argentina's crisis is “because it is full of Argentines” and caused a controversyon August 4, 2022
The Senator for the left-wing coalition Frente Amplio (Broad Front), Daniel Caggiani, was interviewed by local Channel 12’s Desayunos Informales about the regional situation and the negotiation for an eventual Free Trade Agreement (FTA) between Uruguay and China, which has generated tensions between Mercosur partners.
- Argentine LGBT+ group calls for blanket vaccination against monkeypoxon August 4, 2022
The Argentine LGBT+ Federation has launched an appeal to national health authorities to launch a nationwide vaccination campaign for the entire population against monkeypox.
- Massa sworn in as Argentina's new “Super” Economy Ministeron August 4, 2022
Former Lower House Speaker Sergio Massa has been sworn in Wednesday as Argentina's new Minister of Economy, Agriculture, and Production as the country seeks to regain some stability following the departure of Ministers Matías Kulfas and Martín Guzmán around a month ago.
- Weather tracker: Mediterranean Sea hit by major marine heatwaveby Matt Andrews for Metdesk on July 30, 2022
No respite from record-breaking temperatures as the ocean warms and wildfires rage on landMany parts of Europe have seen record-breaking temperatures over the past few months, but it is not just the continental landmass which has been affected. The Mediterranean Sea is experiencing a major marine heatwave, with sea surface temperatures in western parts of […]
- Argentinians remember Eva Perón – in picturesby Guardian Staff on July 27, 2022
Argentines gather in capital to mourn country’s iconic first lady, 70 years after her death Continue reading...
- Rewilding the Galápagos can be a model for a new way to coexist with nature | Danny Rueda Córdova and Leonardo DiCaprioby Danny Rueda Córdova and Leonardo DiCaprio on June 25, 2022
We must work with local communities to restore key species on a global scale if we are to tackle the climate and biodiversity crises gripping the worldRead more in our Wild world seriesThere are few places in the world as majestic and full of wonder as Ecuador’s Galápagos Islands. From the rosy-hued pink iguanas on the northern rim of Wolf Volcano to the […]
- How to rewild a country: the story of Argentinaby Patrick Greenfield on June 24, 2022
It began with a philanthropic couple buying a swamp but has become one of the world’s boldest experiments in restoring degraded habitats, bringing wildlife and landscapes back from the brinkRead more in our Wild world seriesAbove: El Impenetrable national park, home to thousands of charismatic plants, flowers and animals, including jaguars. Below: […]
- Diego Maradona: eight to go on trial in Argentina for homicideby Reuters in Buenos Aires on June 23, 2022
Defendants named in judge’s report include football star’s three doctors, a psychiatrist and two nurses Eight people who took care of the Argentinian football superstar Diego Maradona will be tried for homicide, according to a ruling released on Wednesday following an investigation into his death from cardiac arrest.In the 236-page document seen by […]