|Area Total||947,300 sq km|
|Climate||varies from tropical along coast to temperate in highlands|
|Natural Resources||hydropower, tin, phosphates, iron ore, coal, diamonds, gemstones, gold, natural gas, nickel|
|Imports||India 16.5%, China 15.8%, UAE 9.2%, Saudi Arabia 7.9%, South Africa 5.1%, Japan 4.9%, Switzerland 4.4% (2017) – consumer goods, machinery and transportation equipment, industrial raw materials, crude oil|
|Exports||India 21.8%, South Africa 17.9%, Kenya 8.8%, Switzerland 6.7%, Belgium 5.9%, Democratic Republic of the Congo 5.8%, China 4.8% (2017) – gold, coffee, cashew nuts, manufactures, cotton|
|Capital||Dar es Salaam (administrative capital), Dodoma (legislative capital)|
|Population||58,552,845 (July 2020 est.)|
|Ethnicity||mainland – African 99% (of which 95% are Bantu consisting of more than 130 tribes), other 1% (consisting of Asian, European, and Arab); Zanzibar – Arab, African, mixed Arab and African|
|Language||Kiswahili or Swahili (official), Kiunguja (name for Swahili in Zanzibar), English (official, primary language of commerce, administration, and higher education), Arabic (widely spoken in Zanzibar), many local languages|
News about Tanzania
- Zambian President Appreciates Tanzania Mining Policyby Daily News on August 8, 2022
[Daily News] AS Zambia plans to empower its citizens through its mining sector, President Hakainde Hichilema has said his country has learned from neighbouring Tanzania how the Eastern African State managed to organise small scale miners from extraction to the market.
- SGR to Start Operations Next Januaryby Daily News on August 8, 2022
[Daily News] THE operations of the eagerly awaited Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) from Dar es Salaam to Morogoro stretch is expected to commence next January should it receive endorsement from the regulatory body, it has been stated.
- CAF President Dr Motsepe to Launch Africa Super League in Tanzania On Wednesdayby CAF on August 8, 2022
[CAF] CAF President Dr Patrice Motsepe will launch the eagerly-anticipated Africa Super League on Wednesday, 10 August 2022.
- Zanzibar Set to Construct First Flyover By 2025by Daily News on August 8, 2022
[Daily News] PROMISE by President Hussein Ali Mwinyi that Zanzibar will have a new look including having flyovers for the first time ever in history starts to materialise as agreement has been signed for the implementation of the project under the 'Zanzibar Urban-West roads project."
- Arusha, Home to Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru, Welcomes African Football Family for CAF General Assemblyby CAF on August 8, 2022
[CAF] Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa and fourth peak in the world, stands towering from a distance in Arusha - the city in Tanzania that will host the 44th CAF Ordinary General Assembly on Wednesday morning, 10 August 2022.
- UNHCR Hands Over 16 Vehicles to Support Refugee Operationsby Daily News on August 8, 2022
[Daily News] HE United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) has handed over 16 vehicles worth 500,000 US dollars (about 1.1bn/-) to the government of Tan-zania to support operations in refugee camps and host communities.
- Improved Business Environment Vital for Faster Agro-Industrialisationby Daily News on August 8, 2022
[Daily News] TANZANIA'S move to place agriculture at the top of the agenda is of paramount for the ongoing efforts toward the implementation of the Tanzania Agro-industries Development Flagship (TAIDF).
- 24th Anniversary of the 1998 Embassy Bombingsby State Department on August 7, 2022
[State Department] Today we solemnly remember the lives -- Americans, Kenyans, Tanzanians, and others -- that were violently taken from us 24 years ago. The terrorist attacks against our Embassies in Nairobi, Kenya and Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania claimed 224 innocent victims and injured more than 4,500 others. Among those we honor are the colleagues the […]
- Tanzania Secures One More Medal From Commonwealth Games 2022by Daily News on August 5, 2022
[Daily News] TANZANIAN amateur boxing star Kassim Mbundwike secured another boxing medal on Thursday night at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
- WFP Launches Strategic Food System Planby Daily News on August 5, 2022
[Daily News] WORLD Food Programme (WFP) has launched a strategic food system plan aimed at supporting small scale farmers from farms in the value chain to market acquisition for their produce, especially sorghum, sunflower and soybeans.
- Govt Formalises Sunflower Producers to Address Edible Oil Shortageby Daily News on August 5, 2022
[Daily News] THE government has embarked on the formalisation programme for sunflower producers in Dodoma and Singida regions in efforts to curb shortage of the edible oil in the country.
- Govt Calls On Insuring Crops, Livestockby Daily News on August 5, 2022
[Daily News] THE government has urged farmers and livestock keepers to secure insurance of their crops and animals for the sake of avoiding loss that they may incur from different causes including natural calamities.
- Suluhu Hassan Appoints Former TPA Boss to Head Marine Services Company Limitedby Daily News on August 5, 2022
[Daily News] PRESIDENT Samia Suluhu Hassan has appointed former Tanzania Ports Authority (TPA) Director General Mr Eric Hamissi as Marine Services Company Limited (MSCL) Managing Director.
- Tanzanian Club Simba Releases Meddie Kagereby New Times on August 5, 2022
[New Times] Tanzanian powerhouse Simba SC have released Rwandan striker Meddie Kagere after four years through mutual consent.
- NBC's Agri Insurance Product Lures Farmersby Daily News on August 4, 2022
[Daily News] THE National Bank of Commerce (NBC) has said the Nanenane Agricultural Exhibition is an opportunity to publicize the bank's services related to the entire agricultural sector as well as receive feedback from the farmers.
- Suma JKT Moves to Curb Edible Oil Shortageby Daily News on August 4, 2022
[Daily News] National Services Economic wing (Suma JKT) has embarked on sunflower farming, a move that would eventually play a role in addressing the shortage of edible oil in the country.
- Why the Population and Housing Census Will Be Successfulby Daily News on August 4, 2022
[Daily News] AS preparations for the sixth National Population and Housing census gears up, there are clear indications of achieving admirable success from the August 23 exercise.
- Tfra Assures Farmers Timely Fertiliser Availabilityby Daily News on August 4, 2022
[Daily News] TANZANIA Fertilizers Regulatory Authority (TFRA) has assured farmers of a timely availability of fertilizers ahead of the coming farming season, asking them to make better use of government subsidies in increasing their harvests.
- Health Minister Suspends NHIF's New Medical Proceduresby Daily News on August 4, 2022
[Daily News] Minister for Health Ummy Mwalimu has ordered the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) to immediately suspend the new medical procedure which limits the number of attendances of patients at health care centers.
- Acceptance to Wicked Social Conducts Fuel GBV - Reportby Daily News on August 3, 2022
[Daily News] ACCEPTANCE to wicked social conducts has been described as elements that fuel violence against women and children in both Tanzania mainland and Zanzibar, the Social Indicators and Gender Index (SIGI) study shows.
- Govt Pledges Better Services to Pensionersby Daily News on August 3, 2022
[Daily News] IN efforts to ensure timely submission of public servants' contributions to the social security schemes, the government has started making direct deductions from the Treasury.
- How Zanzibar Strides Against Anti-Corruption Campaignby Daily News on August 3, 2022
[Daily News] ON 11th July this year it was another 'African Anti-Corruption Day,' an opportunity for countries in the developing continent to assess themselves on whether efforts being taken to fight the vice are successful.
- Ambassadors Abroad Unveil Business, Investment Opportunitiesby Daily News on August 3, 2022
[Daily News] TANZANIAN ambassadors abroad have identified various business and investment opportunities available in the countries they represent which can be tapped by the citizens for economic development.
- Report - How Councils Performed Against Collection Targetsby Daily News on August 2, 2022
[Daily News] Revenue collection in councils has increased, reaching 888.7bn/-, equivalent to 103 per cent of the amount collected in the same period in the previous financial year.
- Repoa Calls for Suitable Policies, Regime Tax for Extractive Industryby Daily News on August 2, 2022
[Daily News] A LOCAL economic think-tank, Research on Poverty Alleviation (REPOA), has urged for the formulation of policies, legal and tax regimes that will ensure the country benefits significantly from natural resources in the extractive industry.
- Hichilema Vows to Leverage Dar-Lusaka Historic Tiesby Daily News on August 2, 2022
[Daily News] ZAMBIA President Hakainde Hichilema has said his country and Tanzania must leverage on their historic relationship, to maximize benefits to the people of the two neighbouring nations.
- How Maasai Women Are Resisting Land Grabsby Globetrotter on August 2, 2022
[Globetrotter] In Mwanza, Tanzania, Nairukoki Leyian-Naisinyai tells me that here, "Corporations come with papers from the government claiming that they have the right to our land." She points to the large corporations that have entered the lands of the Maasai people to mine rubies and tanzanite. The Maasai can neither assert their rights to the land nor […]
- I Appoint On Merits - President Hassanby Daily News on August 2, 2022
[Daily News] ... Insists performance, loyalty as key criteria
- Local Govt Authorities Put on Notice Over Revenue Leakageby Daily News on August 2, 2022
[Daily News] LOCAL government authorities and public corporations have been directed to work hard to generate revenues and plug the loopholes that deny the state of requisite proceeds.
- Skills Intensive, the Kind of Education Tz Yearns forby Daily News on August 2, 2022
[Daily News] THE government is treading 'extremely' carefully, in coming up with the standard and modern education policy and curricula that will help to guide education provided from lower to top level.