|Area Total||406,752 sq km|
|Climate||subtropical to temperate; substantial rainfall in the eastern portions, becoming semiarid in the far west|
|Natural Resources||hydropower, timber, iron ore, manganese, limestone|
|Imports||$11.35 billion (2017 est.) partners: China 31.3%, Brazil 23.4%, Argentina 12.9%, US 7.4% (2017)|
|Exports||$11.73 billion (2017 est.) partners: Brazil 31.9%, Argentina 15.9%, Chile 6.9%, Russia 5.9% (2017)|
|Population||7 million (July 2018 est.)|
|Ethnicity||mestizo (mixed Spanish and Amerindian) 95%, other 5%|
|Language||Spanish (official) and Guarani (official) 46.3%, only Guarani 34%, only Spanish 15.2%, other (includes Portuguese, German and other indigenous languages) 4.1%, no response 4% (2012 est.)|
News about Paraguay
- Fifth wave of COVID-19 reported having started in Paraguayon December 3, 2022
Paraguayan health authorities Friday reported the beginning of the fifth wave of COVID-19 in the country, where 621 new cases have been confirmed.
- Paraguay rules out a Mercosur breakup and calls for consensus on decisionson December 2, 2022
Paraguayan Foreign Minister, Julio César Arriola, ruled out on Thursday a break up within the Southern Common Market (Mercosur) and ratified that his country supports that the decisions of that integration mechanism be adopted jointly and by consensus.
- Paraguayan President critical of Uruguay's plan to join other trade blocson December 1, 2022
Paraguay's President Mario Abdo Benítez Wednesday said that Uruguay's negotiating trade deals outside Mercosur were detrimental to the South American bloc's “essence.”
- Lacalle's bold diplomacy compromises future of Mercosuron November 30, 2022
Mercosur is facing yet a new crisis stemming from Uruguayan President Luis Lacalle Pou's eagerness to join any foreign trade alliance no matter what.
- Price of fuel in Paraguay keeps fallingon November 28, 2022
The price of fuel at pumps in Paraguay has gone down twice in November of 2022 after a ₲ 100 (US$ 0,014) reduction per liter was announced over the weekend.
- IMF unveils guidelines for Paraguay to unblock foreign financingon November 25, 2022
The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has approved this week a technical two-year support program for Paraguay regarding macroeconomic policies.
- Paraguay not bowing to global pressure against cattle farmingon November 16, 2022
Paraguay's delegation attending the COP27 climate summit at the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Sharm El-Sheikh Tuesday announced that the South American country would not endorse any collective statement curbing livestock farming.
- South American Corporation to bid for 2030 World Cup createdon November 12, 2022
The governments of Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Paraguay Friday launched the Corporación Juntos 2030, a body to jointly bid for the hosting of the 2030 football World Cup.
- Paraguayan foreign traders concerned over Waterway tollon November 10, 2022
Officials and exporters in Asunción continue to object to Argentina's announcement that shipments through the Paraná River Waterway will have to pay a toll, which would generate an extra cost of 7%.
- Paraguay denies negotiations with UK regarding migrantson November 4, 2022
Paraguayan authorities Thursday denied press reports that British Home Secretary Suella Braverman had been brokering a deal whereby migrants arriving in the United Kingdom through the English Channel would be relocated to the South American country.