|Area Total||187,437 sq km|
|Climate||mostly desert; hot, dry, sunny summers (June to August) and mild, rainy winters (December to February) along coast; cold weather with snow or sleet periodically in Damascus|
|Natural Resources||petroleum, phosphates, chrome and manganese ores, asphalt, iron ore, rock salt, marble, gypsum, hydropower|
|Imports||Russia 32.4%, Turkey 16.7%, China 9.5% (2017) – machinery and transport equipment, electric power machinery, food and livestock, metal and metal products, chemicals and chemical products, plastics, yarn, paper|
|Population||19,454,263 (July 2018 est.)|
|Ethnicity||Arab ~50%, Alawite ~15%, Kurd ~10%, Levantine ~10%, other ~15% (includes Druze, Ismaili, Imami, Nusairi, Assyrian, Turkoman, Armenian)|
|Language||Arabic (official), Kurdish, Armenian, Aramaic, Circassian, French, English|
|Exports||Lebanon 31.5%, Iraq 10.3%, Jordan 8.8%, China 7.8%, Turkey 7.5%, Spain 7.3% (2017) – crude oil, minerals, petroleum products, fruits and vegetables, cotton fiber, textiles, clothing, meat and live animals, wheat|
News about Syria
- Magnitude 6.1 quake hits Indonesia’s West Javaby shazaa on December 3, 2022
Jakarta, SANA- A quake of 6.1 magnitude hit Indonesia’s West Java area on Saturday, sending people running out of buildings. “The quake has no tsunami potential. It was felt in capital Jakarta, around 200 km from the epicenter,” Reuters quoted the Indonesian geophysics agency BMKG. One person was injured and four houses were damaged in …
- Russian forces down Ukrainian Mi-8 helicopter in DPR- Defense Ministryby shazaa on December 3, 2022
MOSCOW, SANA-Russian aviation downed a Ukrainian Mi-8 helicopter near Selidovo in the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR), Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Lieutenant General Igor Konashenkov said Saturday. “Russian fighter aviation downed a Ukrainian air forces Mi-8 helicopter near the settlement of Selidovo, DPR,” the spokesman said. Source TASS Shaza […]
- Turkish occupation launches heavy artillery attack on Raqqa northern countrysideby fedaa on December 3, 2022
Raqqa, SANA-The Turkish occupation forces renewed their heavy artillery attacks on the safe areas in Raqqa northern countryside. Local sources told SANA that terrorist organizations, backed by Turkish occupation targeted during the past hours with heavy artillery shells the residential neighborhoods in the villages of al-Sulaibi and Bir Arab in the western […]
- Russian Special Military Operation in Ukraine-Latest Updatesby fedaa on December 3, 2022
Donetsk : 5 civilians killed in Ukrainian shelling. Putin: Russian nuclear technologies ensure competitive capabilities for it among world’s nuclear powers. Russian Defense: 90 Ukrainian gunmen killed when repelling attacks on Kobyansk and Krasno-Limansky broadways of the Lugansk Republic. Russian Defense: Two Ukrainian missiles and artillery shells […]
- Cameroon beats Brazil 1-0, fails to advance to 16 roundby m.eyon on December 3, 2022
Doha, SANA-Brazil were beaten by Cameroon but still topped Group G at World Cup 2022, while Cameroon bowed out despite Vincent Aboubakar’s late winner. Cameroon needed a victory to keep alive their hopes of progress but, just as it looked as if they had run out of time, Aboubakar produced a stunning header two minutes …
- Uhrik: American military presence in Syria illegitimateby m.eyon on December 3, 2022
Prague, SANA- Milan Uhrík, Member of the European Parliament for Slovakia, said that the US military presence in Syria is illegitimate. “They have dozens of military bases built there against the will of the Syrians, they support anti-government separatists and export (steal) oil from Syria,” Uhrik, Head of the Republic’s Party, said in comments on […]
- UAE Embassy holds reception on the 51st anniversary of the Union Dayby m.eyon on December 3, 2022
Damascus, SANA-Embassy of the United Arab Emirates held on Friday a reception at Dar al-Assad for Culture and Arts on the 51th anniversary of the Union Day. The Emirati Chargé d’Affairs in Damascus Abdul Hakim Ibrahim Al-Nuaimi, described in a speech at the reception the relations that connect Syria and the UAE as “very strong and …
- South Korea grabs dramatic stoppage time win to reach last 16by Baraa on December 2, 2022
Al-Rayyan , SANA – South Korea scored in the 91st minute to beat Portugal 2-1 and secure themselves a spot in the last 16 of the World Cup in the most dramatic fashion. They finished Group H level on points and goal difference with Uruguay but went through ahead of Uruguay based on goals scored, …
- Pakistani embassy in Kabul attacked, one injuredby Baraa on December 2, 2022
Kabul, SANA- Pakistan’s embassy in Kabul came under attack on Friday with gunfire injuring a Pakistani security guard, officials said. ” Head of the mission is safe, but the security guard was seriously injured,” the Pakistani Foreign Ministry said in a statement, quoted by AFP. Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, condemned the assassination […]
- Cycling marathon in Damascus marking the United Arab Emirates National Day (photos)by shazaa on December 2, 2022
- ASIO terror threat moves from probable to possible - but lone wolf attack still 'plausible'on November 28, 2022
Australia's terror threat has been lowered from probable to possible but security heads are warning the likelihood of an attack is 50/50, admitting a death in the next 12 months is 'plausible'.
- Ukraine medics removing red crosses from uniforms to avoid targeting by Russian forces, charity sayson November 27, 2022
Frontline medical staff in Ukraine are being targeted by enemy fire more than in any other war and are being treated as 'high-value targets' by Russian forces, according to a humanitarian charity.
- ISIS brides in Sydney: Clare O'Neil to meet Liverpool, Fairfield, Campbelltown mayorson November 24, 2022
Three Sydney mayors will meet with Home Affairs Minister Clare O'Neil to voice their opposition to the repatriation of Australian wives and children of Islamist State fighters.
- Barber shop owner 'sent £25,000 to ISIS terrorist in Syria after receiving Covid grants'on November 24, 2022
Tarek Namouz, 43, had received money from the government to assist his business, Boss Crew Barbers, during the pandemic, and lived in a flat above the west London shop.
- Shamima Begum's mother speaks for first time since her daughter fled to Syria aged 15on November 24, 2022
In her first words since her daughter fled in 2015, Asma Begum said she hoped her youngest child, Shamima Begum, would be allowed to return to Britain from Syria.
- Catholic minster, nurse daughter and tycoon granddaughter charged with sending money to son in ISISon November 19, 2022
Three have been charged with funding terrorism between March 2017 and October 2017 and will stand trial in November next year, according to the Met Police.
- Syrian Olympian says refugees are not in the UK for a 'luxury life'on November 17, 2022
Yusra Mardini, 24, appeared on Lorraine today to talk about the upcoming Netflix film The Swimmers, which tells the story of her escape from Syria with her sister Sara.
- Waleed Aly and Fairfield mayor argue over ISIS Brides from Syria coming to Sydney on The Projecton November 9, 2022
A concerned mayor has gone toe-to-toe with Waleed Aly after speaking out against the repatriation of ISIS brides and their children from Syrian to his Western Sydney community.
- Putin sends right-hand man to command center amid troops' complaintson November 9, 2022
Images released by the defence ministry showed Shoigu studying a series of documents alongside 'General Armageddon' Sergei Surovikin at an undisclosed location in occupied Ukraine
- 3,700-year-old ivory comb is discovered in Israel, inscribed with a plea to eradicate BEARD LICEon November 9, 2022
The comb was excavated from Tel Lachish in Israel in 2017 but the letters were only noticed earlier this year by an archaeologist.