|Area Total||243,610 sq km|
|Climate||temperate; moderated by prevailing southwest winds over the North Atlantic Current; more than one-half of the days are overcast|
|Natural Resources||coal, petroleum, natural gas, iron ore, lead, zinc, gold, tin, limestone, salt, clay, chalk, gypsum, potash, silica sand, slate, arable land|
|Imports||$602.5 billion (2017 est.) partners: Germany 13.7%, US 9.5%, China 9.3%, Netherlands 8%, France 5.4%, Belgium 5% (2017)|
|Exports||$436.5 billion (2017 est.) partners: US 13.2%, Germany 10.5%, France 7.4%, Netherlands 6.2%, Ireland 5.6%, China 4.8%, Switzerland 4.5%, (2017)|
|Government||parliamentary constitutional monarchy; a Constitutional realm|
|Population||65.6 million (July 2017 est.)|
|Ethnicity||white 87.2%, black/African/Caribbean/black British 3%, Asian/Asian British: Indian 2.3%, Asian/Asian British: Pakistani 1.9%, mixed 2%, other 3.7% (2011 est.)|
|Language||English; recognized languages are: Scots (about 30% of the population of Scotland), Scottish Gaelic (about 60,000 in Scotland), Welsh (about 20% of the population of Wales), Irish (about 10% of the population of Northern Ireland), Cornish (some 2,000 to 3,000 people in Cornwall) (2012 est.)|
News about United Kingdom
- Mother dies on plane in front of her children as she flew home to UK after 15 years overseasby Thomas Kingsley (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
‘The grief we feel is paralysing,’ a friend of the mother of two said
- UK heatwave: UK set for new heatwave as temperatures head to 35Cby BBC News - UK on August 8, 2022
Hot conditions will not hit the 40.3C reached last month but could last longer, forecasters say.
- Grease star Dame Olivia Newton-John dies aged 73by Mike Bedigan (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
The British-born singer died ‘peacefully’ at her ranch in Southern California on Monday morning, surrounded by family and friends.
- Rugby star Gareth Thomas sued after ex-partner gets HIVby BBC News - UK on August 8, 2022
High Court papers allege Gareth Thomas hid his HIV status and did not take care not to pass it on.
- English-born star Olivia Newton-John was immortalised in Greaseby Pa Reporters (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
The Australian actress and singer was known for playing Sandy in the hit musical.
- Nicola Sturgeon calls for urgent meeting with PM over cost-of-living crisisby Craig Paton (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
A meeting of the devolved administrations is due next month but the First Minister has called for it to be brought forward.
- Ryan Giggs: Ex-Man Utd and Wales star headbutted ex-girlfriend - courtby BBC News - UK on August 8, 2022
The ex-Manchester United and Wales star denies coercive behaviour and assaulting two women.
- Boris Johnson urged to end ‘summer of drift’ and draw up cost of living plan with Sunak and Trussby Adam Forrest and Ben Chapman (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Business group urges PM to meet Tory leadership contenders, while Lib Dems call for energy price cap rise to be ditched
- Jack Woodley murder: Killer's mum says son is innocentby BBC News - UK on August 8, 2022
Ten youths were jailed for murdering Jack Woodley although only one delivered the fatal knife blow.
- Hosepipe ban could be in place until October, water company suggestsby Lamiat Sabin (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Light showers forecast for near future likely won’t be ‘sufficient’ to end drought
- Boris Johnson rules out immediate cost-of-living measuresby BBC News - UK on August 8, 2022
It comes as business boss Tony Danker warns the UK cannot "afford a summer of government inactivity".
- Disappearing Dentists: Most practices in NI not taking new NHS patientsby BBC News - UK on August 8, 2022
The findings of a BBC investigation show the need for systemic reform, the British Dental Association says.
- Royal Mail shake-up could see thousands of households not receive deliveries until after 6pmby Furvah Shah (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Proposal could mean orders placed late at night arrive next day
- Third of women don’t know how to get abortion in UK, poll showsby Maya Oppenheim (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Exclusive: ‘We believe that abortion is a basic human right, and that no one should be prosecuted for ending their own pregnancy,’ campaigner says
- Angela Rayner: I’m against us going ‘anywhere near’ a Scottish independence voteby Craig Paton (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Labour’s deputy leader appeared at an event during the Edinburgh Festival Fringe on Monday.
- Dominic Raab wants to curb judges’ powers over government, leaked document suggestsby Adam Forrest (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Reported proposals aimed at making it harder to bring successful judicial reviews
- Ryan Giggs trial: Ex Man United player had ‘sinister’ side and ‘headbutted girlfriend he abused’by Joe Middleton (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Giggs is accused of using controlling and coercive behaviour against Kate Greville and assaulting her – he denies all charges
- People in driest places in England tell of challenges amid rain shortageby Pa Reporters (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
People in some of England’s driest areas have explained how the sweltering weather and a shortage of rainfall is impacting their daily lives.
- Jeremy Clarkson’s Diddly Squat restaurant investigated as presenter ‘uses delightful loophole’ to open itby Zoe Tidman (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
It comes after former Top Gear star announced eatery was open for bookings last month despite previous planning issues
- Avanti West Coast suspends sales and cuts timetablesby BBC News - UK on August 8, 2022
Avanti West Coast says its limited timetables will run until further notice due to staff shortages.
- Boris Johnson news – live: No 10 rejects call for emergency cost of living budgetby Emily Atkinson (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Mr Johnson’s spokesperson said it would be ‘a future prime minister to decide’ what measures were needed
- Rishi Sunak campaign video criticised as ‘pointless posturing’ and mocked onlineby Ben Hatton (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
The candidate to be the next prime minister said he wanted to ‘keep Brexit safe’.
- Ryan Giggs’ private life ‘involved a litany of abuse’, court toldby Kim Pilling (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Prosecutors said the ex-footballer, who denies the charges, had a ‘much uglier and more sinister’ side to his character.
- Queen’s official welcome to Balmoral to be held in privateby Tony Jones (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
The Queen has faced episodic mobility issues since last autumn.
- In Pictures: Drought takes its toll on countryside as England changes colourby Pa (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
England has taken on a different hue with infrequent rain causing parched landscapes.
- ‘Four-year-old girl’ killed in house collapse following gas explosionby Isobel Frodsham (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
The Metropolitan Police said detectives believe the child who died in the incident was a four-year-old girl.
- Don’t Pay: Charity warning over energy bill campaign as 90,000 threaten to scrap direct debitsby Thomas Kingsley (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Suppliers could use debt collection agencies to retrieve missed or late payments, charities warn
- Queen to interrupt Balmoral stay to meet new prime ministerby BBC News - UK on August 8, 2022
The Queen is expected to return to London to hold an audience with the new prime minister next month.
- Driver had undiagnosed Alzheimer's, court toldby BBC News - UK on August 8, 2022
A 75-year-old woman denies causing the death of five-month-old Louis Thorold who was in his pram.
- About 50 properties damaged after flooding in north Londonby Isobel Frodsham (The Independent UK) on August 8, 2022
Emergency services were called to the scene in Islington.