|Area Total||8,515,770 sq km|
|Climate||mostly tropical, but temperate in south|
|Natural Resources||bauxite, gold, iron ore, manganese, nickel, phosphates, platinum, tin, rare earth elements, uranium, petroleum, hydropower, timber|
|Imports||$153.2 billion (2017 est.) partners: China 18.1%, US 16.7%, Argentina 6.3%, Germany 6.1% (2017)|
|Exports||$217.2 billion (2017 est.) partners: China 21.8%, US 12.5%, Argentina 8.1%, Netherlands 4.3% (2017)|
|Government||federal presidential republic|
|Population||208.8 million (July 2018 est.)|
|Ethnicity||white 47.7%, mulatto (mixed white and black) 43.1%, black 7.6%, Asian 1.1%, indigenous 0.4% (2010 est.)|
|Language||Portuguese (official and most widely spoken language); note: less common languages include Spanish (border areas and schools), German, Italian, Japanese, English, and a large number of minor Amerindian languages|
News about Brazil
- Uruguay and Chile, the least corrupt “in a corrupt continent”on January 26, 2022
Corruption in Latin America is one of the most notorious problems on the region's agenda after a decade of major judicial operations that exposed corruption schemes involving governments and companies alike. According to Transparency International (TI), corruption has been entrenched in Latin America for more than a decade with little progress and many […]
- OECD to evaluate Argentina, Brazil and Peru as potential memberson January 26, 2022
The Council of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has decided to discuss the admission into the group of Argentina, Brazil, and Peru, it was announced Tuesday.
- Covid denialist and Bolsonaro ally Olavo de Carvalho died of virus, says daughterby Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro on January 25, 2022
Rightwing radical was a towering figure in Brazil who was adored and abhorred in equal measure by millions of followers and foesOlavo de Carvalho, the coronavirus-denying mentor of Jair Bolsonaro and Brazil’s radical right, has died in the United States, with one of his children citing Covid-19 as the cause.“The family … asks for prayers for the […]
- Global Inflation: Brazil's Guedes and Europe's Lagarde have opposing positionson January 24, 2022
Brazilian economy minister Paulo Guedes said that inflation will become a long-term challenge for Western countries, since "the beast is already out of the bottle", and central bankers have been caught "sleeping at the driving wheel".
- Christ and cocaine: Rio’s gangs of God blend faith and violenceby Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro on January 23, 2022
In the city’s favelas, a new generation of ‘narco-pentecostals’ are embracing Christian symbols“Pastor, do you think we could hold a service at my house next Thursday?” the peroxide-haired gangster wondered, cradling an AK-47 in his lap as he took a seat beside the man of God.A few months earlier, the 23-year-old had bought his first home with the […]
- Pelé's health deteriorates, back to chemotherapyon January 22, 2022
Brazilian football legend Edson Arantes do Nascimento, better known as Pele, Friday was diagnosed to have three organs affected with cancer, due to which he has returned to undertaking chemotherapy sessions.
- Elza Soares: samba’s greatest star epitomised the vivacious spirit of Brazilby Felipe Maia on January 21, 2022
The singer’s melodic, growling voice was a marvel – and she overcame great hardship in order to put it to astonishing useElza Soares stood quietly, a few minutes before being born into music. Engulfed by audience fuss and hullabaloo, another of her competitors had been disqualified from the radio talent show she was attending. It was 1953, and Soares […]
- Bolsonaro's mother dies while the President was on tour in Surinameon January 21, 2022
Olinda Bonturi Bolsonaro, the mother of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, has died early Friday in the city of São Paulo after being hospitalized last Monday. She was 94.
- Elza Soares, one of Brazil’s greatest ever singers, dies at 91by Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro on January 20, 2022
Loss of much-loved samba star prompts outpouring of tributes and praise as six-decade career endsElza Soares, one of the greatest Brazilian singers of all time, has died at her beachside home in Rio after a legendary, genre-straddling six-decade career which made her a national treasure and a global star.“The beloved and eternal Elza has gone to rest but […]
- Robinho’s appeal against nine-year sentence for rape dismissedby Reuters on January 20, 2022
Former Milan player handed jail sentence in Italy in 2017Brazil does not extradite citizens sentenced abroadThe former Brazil forward Robinho had a nine-year sentence for the rape of a young woman upheld by Italy’s top court on Wednesday.Brazil does not extradite its own citizens when they are sentenced in other countries, although Robinho risks being […]
- Heavily armed police launch bid to reclaim control of Rio de Janeiro favelaby Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro on January 20, 2022
State governor says surprise operation against drug gangs and mafia groups is start of ‘transformational’ occupationHundreds of heavily armed police have stormed one of Rio’s largest favelas at the start of what authorities claimed was a “transformational” attempt to wrest back control from the drug gangs and paramilitary mafias which dominate […]
- International market pushes dollar up in Brazil to R$ 5.56on January 19, 2022
The commercial dollar traded Tuesday in Brazil at R $ 5.561, a 0.61% increase compared to the previous day after pressure from international markets played their part.
- Brazil's Senate wants to tackle fuel priceson January 18, 2022
Brazil's Senate Speaker Rodrigo Pacheco Monday said that come February he intends to put up for voting a bill aimed at creating stability in the price of fuel.
- Most Brazilians find Bolsonaro a hindrance to vaccinating kids against COVID-19on January 17, 2022
A Datafolha survey released Monday showed 58% of Brazilians considered President Jair Bolsonaro was a hindrance to vaccinating children aged 5 to 11 against COVID-19, while 25% of respondents, thought things were the other way around.
- Covid global report: Omicron alert in southern Chinese city bordering Macauby Staff and agencies on January 15, 2022
Buses suspended in Zhuhai as mass tests return positivesIn US, CDC urges use of the ‘most protective’ masksSee all our coronavirus coverageThe southern Chinese city of Zhuhai has suspended public bus routes after announcing it had detected at least seven cases of the highly transmissible Omicron coronavirus variant there and warning residents not to […]