|Area Total||8,515,770 sq km|
|Climate||mostly tropical, but temperate in south|
|Natural Resources||bauxite, gold, iron ore, manganese, nickel, phosphates, platinum, tin, rare earth elements, uranium, petroleum, hydropower, timber|
|Imports||$153.2 billion (2017 est.) partners: China 18.1%, US 16.7%, Argentina 6.3%, Germany 6.1% (2017)|
|Exports||$217.2 billion (2017 est.) partners: China 21.8%, US 12.5%, Argentina 8.1%, Netherlands 4.3% (2017)|
|Government||federal presidential republic|
|Population||208.8 million (July 2018 est.)|
|Ethnicity||white 47.7%, mulatto (mixed white and black) 43.1%, black 7.6%, Asian 1.1%, indigenous 0.4% (2010 est.)|
|Language||Portuguese (official and most widely spoken language); note: less common languages include Spanish (border areas and schools), German, Italian, Japanese, English, and a large number of minor Amerindian languages|
News about Brazil
- Pelé moved to end-of-life care in hospital, reports sayby Reuters on December 3, 2022
Brazilian football legend is reportedly no longer responding to chemotherapy treatmentThe Brazilian football legend Pelé is receiving palliative care after chemotherapy treatment for colon cancer stopped having the expected results, it has been reported.Pelé, 82, who is widely considered one of the greatest footballers of all time, was admitted to […]
- Brazil bilateral trade with Qatar has leaped in the buildup to the World Cupon December 3, 2022
Despite a last shock surprise defeat against Cameroon, Brazil is in the Round of 16 and still standing as one of the favorites to reach the final round of Qatar 2022 World Soccer Cup. And despite its sporting performance, Brazil has had a huge leap in bilateral trade with the buildup to the Qatar event.
- Lula to give free rein to economic team, but not too looseon December 3, 2022
Brazil's President-elect Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva Friday said that whoever is appointed economy minister under him will have the necessary autonomy so long as he or she does not forget who was the one elected for the people to rule the country, which meant that the head of state will not be absent from the most relevant decisions.
- Biden wants to talk to president elect Lula; US officials on Monday travel to Brazil to arrange a White House meetingon December 3, 2022
Sometime this month, probably after 12 December Brazilian president-elect Lula da Silva will be meeting with US President Joe Biden at the White House. The news was confirmed in Washington and in Lula's headquarters.
- Petrobras will need to adjust policies to Lula's goalson December 1, 2022
Brazil's President-elect Luiz Inácio Lula Da Silva will make adjustments to the country's state-run oil company Petrobras once he takes office on Jan. 1, it was reported Thursday.
- Milestone UK/Brazil Double Taxation Agreementon December 1, 2022
The United Kingdom and Brazil signed a Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) this week. The Agreement will provide relief from the double taxation of income in both countries and is the most significant development in the trade relationship between the United Kingdom and Brazil in many years and represents a concrete response to demands from business in both […]
- Brazil joins Budapest Convention to fight cybercrimeon December 1, 2022
Brazilian authorities Wednesday announced that the South American country was joining the so-called Budapest Convention whereby it will be granted faster access to electronic evidence produced under foreign jurisdiction.
- Brazil exports remain concentrated in commodities and imports in industrial goods, WTO reporton December 1, 2022
Brazil’s integration into the global economy has grown in recent years, but exports are increasingly concentrated in commodities, and imports are dominated by industrial goods, according to the World Trade Organization (WTO) assessment of Brazilian trade policy.
- Football: Brazil waits for Pele, Neymar's recoveryon November 30, 2022
As the Brazilian squad participating in the Qatar 2022 World Cup prepares to face Cameroon Friday without stars Neymar, Danilo, and Alex Sandro due to health issues, the South American country's most iconic player of all times -Edson Arantes do Nascimento, also known as Pele- remains hospitalized in Sao Paulo fighting cancer.
- Lacalle's bold diplomacy compromises future of Mercosuron November 30, 2022
Mercosur is facing yet a new crisis stemming from Uruguayan President Luis Lacalle Pou's eagerness to join any foreign trade alliance no matter what.
- Foreign tourists spend record-high amounts in Brazilon November 30, 2022
Foreign travelers have left behind record-high amounts of money in Brazil, according to a Central Bank (BCB) report released Tuesday.
- Boy, 16, ‘wore swastika’ during fatal school shootings in Brazilby Associated Press on November 26, 2022
Teenager was armed with a military semiautomatic pistol and his father’s revolverA former student armed with a semiautomatic pistol and a revolver who killed three people and wounded 13 in two schools in Brazil had a swastika pinned to his vest and had been planning the attacks for two years, police said.The shootings took place on Friday at a state […]
- Richarlison praised as ‘idol Brazilians deserve’ after Bolsonaro eraby Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro on November 25, 2022
Goalscorer against Serbia at World Cup is being celebrated as much more than just a sporting heroRicharlison’s “balletic barnstormer” has been called one of the great World Cup goals; an unstoppable scissor kick that launched Brazil’s campaign in Qatar with a bang. But after his thrilling two-goal blitz against Serbia, the Tottenham forward is being […]
- Leftwing Brazilians hope to reclaim football jersey from Bolsonaro movementby Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro on November 24, 2022
President-elect Lula will watch Thursday’s World Cup match wearing a canarinhoLeftwing Brazilians are hoping to use their country’s first World Cup match to reclaim its well-known yellow and green football jersey from Jair Bolsonaro’s far-right movement.The canarinho (little canary) shirt has become the most potent symbol of support for Brazil’s […]
- Brazil judge fines Bolsonaro allies millions after ‘bad faith’ election challengeby Reuters and Associated Press on November 24, 2022
Head of Brazil's electoral court rejects claim from outgoing president’s coalition that said voting machines malfunctionedThe head of Brazil’s electoral court has rejected an attempt by outgoing president Jair Bolsonaro’s party to overturn the results of October’s run-off election, which he lost.Alexandre de Moraes, a supreme court justice, also […]