|Area Total||83,871 sq km|
|Climate||temperate; continental, cloudy; cold winters with frequent rain and some snow in lowlands and snow in mountains; moderate summers with occasional showers|
|Natural Resources||oil, coal, lignite, timber, iron ore, copper, zinc, antimony, magnesite, tungsten, graphite, salt, hydropower|
|Imports||Germany 41.8%, Italy 5.8%, Switzerland 5.5%, Czech Republic 4.4%, Netherlands 4.2% (2017) – machinery and equipment, motor vehicles, chemicals, metal goods, oil and oil products, natural gas; foodstuffs|
|Exports||Germany 29.4%, US 6.3%, Italy 6.2%, Switzerland 5.1%, France 4.8%, Slovakia 4.8% (2017) – machinery and equipment, motor vehicles and parts, manufactured goods, chemicals, iron and steel, foodstuffs|
|Government||federal parliamentary republic|
|Population||8,793,370 (July 2018 est.)|
|Ethnicity||Austrian 80.8%, German 2.6%, Bosnian and Herzegovinian 1.9%, Turkish 1.8%, Serbian 1.6%, Romanian 1.3%, other 10% (2018 est.)|
|Language||German (official nationwide) 88.6%, Turkish 2.3%, Serbian 2.2%, Croatian (official in Burgenland) 1.6%, other (includes Slovene, official in southern Carinthia, and Hungarian, official in Burgenland) 5.3% (2001 est.)|
News about Austria
- Digital nomads: Who can work remotely in Austria?by The Local on August 8, 2022
The Covid-19 pandemic ushered in a new era of remote work opportunities, but being a digital nomad is still a legal grey area in some countries. Here’s how it works in Austria.
- Airport chaos in Europe: What are your rights if flights are delayed or cancelled?by The Local on August 8, 2022
Summer is up, tourism is recovering from pandemic years, and people are stuck at chaotic airports. Here are your rights if something goes wrong.
- Energy crisis: What to do in case of a power outage in Austriaby The Local on August 8, 2022
A recent power outage in Austria left thousands of households without electricity and hit tram lines and traffic lights in Innsbruck. Here's what you need to do if it happens where you are.
- 11 Austrian life hacks that will make you feel like a localby The Local on August 8, 2022
Austria can be a tricky country to figure out - especially outside of the main cities with different dialects and regional cultures. But there are ways to fit in and live like a local in Austria. Here’s how.
- 'I’ll probably return to the UK': Moving to Austria as a Brit post-Brexitby The Local on August 8, 2022
Moving to Austria as a British citizen is not as easy as it was a couple of years ago, but it is still possible if you’re willing to jump through a few more bureaucratic hoops.
- Today in Austria: A roundup of the latest news on Mondayby The Local on August 8, 2022
Forest fire extinguished, winter to test power grid, police warn of telephone frauds and more news from Austria on Monday.
- Austrian scientists race to reveal melting glaciers' secretsby The Local on August 7, 2022
Jumping from rock to rock to rock over a creek formed off Austria's Jamtal glacier, scientist Andrea Fischer worries that precious scientific data will be irreversibly lost as the snow and ice melt faster than ever.
- EXPLAINED: How Austria's new property buying rules could impact youby The Local on August 7, 2022
Anyone buying property in Austria will now need a minimum deposit of 20 percent. Why has this new rule been introduced and how could it impact people trying to get on the property ladder?
- Hugo, Almdudler and Radler: 5 drinks to try in Austria this summerby The Local on August 7, 2022
It is easier to face the summer heat with a proper cold drink in your hands. Austrians know that well and have created (or made popular) several delicious alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Here are five you should try.
- Austria in shock over doctor's suicide following anti-vax abuseby The Local on August 6, 2022
Austrians expressed shock and anger this week over the suicide of doctor who had been the target of a torrent of abuse and threats from anti-vaccination protesters.
- Can I work for my foreign employer as a self-employed person in Austria?by The Local on August 6, 2022
Setting yourself up as self-employed in Austria is a fairly complicated process, which means you can't necessarily continue doing the role you did in your previous country.
- LATEST: The Covid rules across Austria from August 2022by The Local on August 6, 2022
Some of Austria's Covid-19 Massnahmen (measures) changed again on August 1st. Here's what you need to know.
- Five things to do in Vienna this weekendby The Local on August 5, 2022
Vienna is full of events, places to visit and great new restaurants to try out. If you are overwhelmed with the possibilities or just wondering where you can find a cool international event, here are some ideas.
- How to avoid getting heat exhaustion in Austria's scorching weatherby The Local on August 5, 2022
As Austria swelters in increasingly hot temperatures, it's important to keep an eye out for heat exhaustion and look after those, such as children and the elderly, who may be more susceptible to heat-related problems.
- EU delays passport scan system and €7 travel fee until 2023by The Local on August 5, 2022
Two major changes that were due to come into force in 2022 for travellers entering the EU - an enhanced passport scanning system and the introduction of a €7 visa for tourists - have been delayed for a year.