|Area Total||283,561 sq km|
|Climate||tropical along coast, becoming cooler inland at higher elevations; tropical in Amazonian jungle lowlands|
|Natural Resources||petroleum, fish, timber, hydropower|
|Imports||$19.31 billion (2017 est.) partners: US 22.8%, China 15.4%, Colombia 8.7%, Panama 6.4%, Brazil 4.4%, Peru 4.2% (2017)|
|Exports||Spanish (Castilian) 93% (official), Quechua 4.1%, other indigenous 0.7%, foreign 2.2% note: Quechua and Shuar are official languages of intercultural relations (2010 est.)|
|Population||16.5 million (July 2018 est.)|
|Ethnicity||mestizo (mixed Amerindian and white) 71.9%, Montubio 7.4%, Amerindian 7%, white 6.1%, Afroecuadorian 4.3%, mulatto 1.9%, black 1%, other 0.4% (2010 est.)|
|Language||Spanish (official), Italian, English, German, French, indigenous (Mapudungun, Quechua)|
News about Ecuador
- Ecuador detects new case of monkeypox and adds sevenby admin on August 6, 2022
The Ministry of Health reported that the last patient, aged 29, was detected in Machala, capital of the province of El Oro. Worldwide, the disease exceeds 23,000 infections. The United States declared a health emergency. Ecuador added a new confirmed case of monkeypox, which raised the number of inf...
- ‘Narco generals’: Comptroller finds evidence of three police officersby admin on August 6, 2022
The Comptroller’s Office carried out special examinations of the patrimonial declarations of 25 generals of the National Police and detected indications of criminal responsibility in three cases. Note updated with the reaction of the Minister of the Interior, Patricio Carrillo, at 11:50 a.m. o...
- Florida court rejects appeal filed by Ecuador in Isaías caseby admin on August 4, 2022
The State Attorney General’s Office announced the decision of the Court of Appeals of the Third District of Florida , in the United States, before the appeal presented by the Ecuadorian State in the case of the brothers William and Roberto Isaías Dassum. In a Twitter message, the institution r...
- 18.5% of young Ecuadorians neither study nor workby admin on August 4, 2022
One of the main barriers that prevents young people from studying and, in this way, improving their employment status is the lack of economic resources. As of June 2022, 18.5% of young Ecuadorians between the ages of 15 and 24 neither study nor work , which places them within the so-called ninis. Th...
- Ecuador is a high-risk country for investment, says the United Statesby admin on August 3, 2022
Corruption, legal insecurity and legislative blockage prevent Ecuador from overcoming its reputation as a high-risk investment destination, according to the US State Department. The United States Department of State has issued a statement on the investment climate in Ecuador, in which it concludes t...
- Ecuadorians abroad will be able to vote electronically in 2023by admin on August 3, 2022
More than 86,000 registered citizens in 26 countries will be able to choose the new members of the Participation Council through the Internet, on their mobile phones or computers. The experience of the 2021 elections set the tone so that, in 2023, more Ecuadorians abroad can vote electronically . Th...
- Three oarfish appeared in Ecuador during the last weekby admin on August 2, 2022
Japanese popular belief states that oarfish bring bad omens. The animal species, which lives in waters over 1,000 meters deep, is associated with the appearance of possible cataclysms such as earthquakes, tidal waves and hurricanes. Since the previous week, three sightings of these fish have been r...
- Only one of the five cases of monkeypox confirmed in Ecuador is hospitalizedby admin on August 2, 2022
The Minister of Health, José Ruales, confirmed that only one of the five cases of monkeypox confirmed in Ecuador remains hospitalized. According to the head of the State portfolio, the patient is isolated in a health home due to isolation, “not because there is any seriousness but because we n...
- Authorities will vaccinate 10 million Ecuadorians with a third dose in 2022by admin on August 1, 2022
The Ministry of Public Health (MSP) reported on a new massive vaccination campaign against COVID-19. The authorities plan to reach September 2022, with 10 million Ecuadorians vaccinated with the third booster dose. This campaign will be supported by the private sector, which in search of economic re...
- Turkey, the new drug route that leaves from the ports of Ecuadorby admin on August 1, 2022
Ecuadorian banana shipments are the main fronts for cocaine trafficking destined for Turkey. Turkish territory acts as a bridge to bring the drug to Russia and the Persian Gulf. On July 26, 2022, the National Police thwarted the shipment of 158 kilos of cocaine to Europe from Guayaquil. The drug was...
- Ecuador deal reached to end weeks of deadly protests and strikesby Associated Press in Quito on July 1, 2022
Agreement between government and Indigenous leaders includes fuel price cut and mining restrictionsEcuador’s government and the country’s main Indigenous group have reached an agreement to end 18 days of often-violent strikes that had virtually paralysed the country and killed at least four people. The deal, which includes a decrease in the price of […]
- Ecuador: Indigenous protesters agree to meet president to discuss demandsby Reuters in Quito on June 27, 2022
President Guillermo Lasso announces cut to gas prices in effort to quell protests demanding lower fuel and food pricesEcuadorian Indigenous organizations have said they will meet with the government to discuss demands for lower fuel and food prices which have sparked two weeks of protests, hitting the country’s weakened economy and threatening its oil […]
- Ecuador at standstill after two weeks of protests over cost of living crisisby Dan Collyns in Lima on June 25, 2022
During demonstrations, started by an Indigenous federation, roads were blocked and vehicles torched, and police fired teargasEcuador has been brought to a near standstill after two weeks of tumultuous protests over a spike in fuel and food prices as global inflation inflames discontent over widening inequality across Latin America.At least five people have […]
- Rewilding the Galápagos can be a model for a new way to coexist with nature | Danny Rueda Córdova and Leonardo DiCaprioby Danny Rueda Córdova and Leonardo DiCaprio on June 25, 2022
We must work with local communities to restore key species on a global scale if we are to tackle the climate and biodiversity crises gripping the worldRead more in our Wild world seriesThere are few places in the world as majestic and full of wonder as Ecuador’s Galápagos Islands. From the rosy-hued pink iguanas on the northern rim of Wolf Volcano to the […]
- Ecuador facing food and fuel shortages as country rocked by violent protestsby Reuters in Quito on June 22, 2022
Government rejects conditions for dialogue to end 10 days of Indigenous-led demonstrations against economic policyViolent protests against the economic policies of Ecuador’s President Guillermo Lasso have paralysed the country’s capital and other regions, but the government on Wednesday rejected their conditions for dialogue.Quito is experiencing food […]