|Area Total||176,215 sq km|
|Climate||warm temperate; freezing temperatures almost unknown|
|Natural Resources||arable land, hydropower, minor minerals, fish|
|Imports||$8.607 billion (2017 est.) partners: China 20%, Brazil 19.5%, Argentina 12.6%, US 10.9% (2017)|
|Exports||$11.41 billion (2017 est.)m partners: China 19%, Brazil 16.1%, US 5.7%, Argentina 5.4% (2017)|
|Population||3.4 million (July 2018 est.)|
|Ethnicity||white 87.7%, black 4.6%, indigenous 2.4%, other
.3%, none or unspecified 5%; note: data represent primary ethnic identity (2011 est.)
News about Uruguay
- Uruguay confirms second case of monkeypoxon August 8, 2022
Uruguay's Health Ministry (MSP) confirmed Saturday the second case of monkeypox had been detected in the country while other three possible infections were under study.
- Punta del Este shopping mall gripped by devastating fireon August 8, 2022
A shopping mall in the most exclusive Uruguayan beach resort of Punta del Este caught fire Saturday in what Interior Minister Luis Alberto Heber dubbed “a disgrace.”
- Argentina and Uruguay potential customers of South Korea's military equipmenton August 8, 2022
Located in a part of the world with numerous and evolving security challenges not least North Korea, an aggressive neighbor with nuclear weapons and the largest per capita standing army in the world, South Korea has earned a solid reputation as a high quality military equipment manufacturer for land, air, sea and space, and could in a near future have the […]
- Brazil's Lower House passes bill to donate arms to Uruguay's Armyon August 8, 2022
Brazilian defense authorities are moving ahead with their plans to donate military equipment to Uruguay consisting of M108 howitzers and Urutu vehicles after the Lower House passed a bill in that regard which has now been sent over to the Senate.
- Joint bid to host 2030 football World Cup launchedon August 5, 2022
Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, and Chile have announced a joint bid to co-host the 2030 football World Cup finals under the motto "Together 2030." The intended 2030 tournament will feature 48 teams and some 80 matches will be played in 14 stadiums. The last World Cup to be held in South America was "Brazil 2014
- No Uruguayan troops involved in DRC killingson August 4, 2022
Defense Minister Javier García Wednesday brought peace of mind to the relatives of Uruguayan troops deployed in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) as part of the United Nations peacekeeping mission (MONUSCO).
- Uruguay: Lacalle admits to changing his mind over retirement ageon August 3, 2022
Uruguayan President Luis Lacalle Pou Tuesday admitted he had defaulted on one of his campaign promises of not raising the retirement age, because “it was impossible” not to modify it.
- Consensus among Mercosur countries to tackle monkeypoxon August 2, 2022
Uruguayan Health Minister Daniel Salinas Monday announced health authorities within Mercosur were drafting a joint plan to fight the monkeypox outbreak.
- Uruguay, Brazil agree to boost tourism at the borderon August 2, 2022
Tourism authorities from Brazil and Uruguay agreed over the weekend on a series of measures to boost the industry between the two countries during the Brazil-Uruguay Integration Forum held July 30 at the Rivera City Hall.
- Uruguay has first case of monkeypox confirmedon July 30, 2022
Uruguayan health authorities Friday announced the first case of monkeypox had been confirmed in the country. According to the Ministry of Public Health (MSP), the infection was proved through PCR testing.