|Area Total||176,215 sq km|
|Climate||warm temperate; freezing temperatures almost unknown|
|Natural Resources||arable land, hydropower, minor minerals, fish|
|Imports||$8.607 billion (2017 est.) partners: China 20%, Brazil 19.5%, Argentina 12.6%, US 10.9% (2017)|
|Exports||$11.41 billion (2017 est.)m partners: China 19%, Brazil 16.1%, US 5.7%, Argentina 5.4% (2017)|
|Population||3.4 million (July 2018 est.)|
|Ethnicity||white 87.7%, black 4.6%, indigenous 2.4%, other
.3%, none or unspecified 5%; note: data represent primary ethnic identity (2011 est.)
News about Uruguay
- Uruguayan scientists for 2022-23 season arrive at Artigas Base in Antarcticaon December 3, 2022
An Uruguayan Air Force Hercules C-130 aircraft landed at the Artigas Base in Antarctica carrying some 40 scientists for the 2022-2023 campaign to work on 18 projects, marking the 37th anniversary of Uruguay's entry as a consultative member of the Antarctic Treaty System.
- Uruguay's INE to update measuring of CPIon December 3, 2022
Uruguay's National Institute of Statistics (INE) will change the way it measures inflation, starting in December 2022, it was announced in Montevideo this week. The new method means new products and services will be gauged while others are to be sidelined.
- Mercosur countries "are not safe to drink the Water", CDC advice for travelerson December 3, 2022
In a long list of "countries where it is not safe to drink water", figure all South American countries and Mercosur members with the exception of Chile.
- Today at the World Cup: Holland and Argentina favourites for knockout roundby Pa Sport Staff on December 3, 2022
Nothing can be ruled out in a tournament of shocks.
- Brazil suffer shocking defeat as South Korea score a dramatic winner in day thirteen of the World Cupby Francesca Casonato on December 2, 2022
Day 13 of the Qatar World Cup saw drama in groups G and H, as teams battled to secure a place in the knockout.
- World Cup: Uruguay win over Ghana not enough to stay in Qataron December 2, 2022
Two-time world champions Uruguay beat Ghana 2-0 in their last Qatar 2022 football World Cup Friday, as both teams were eventually eliminated from the competition after failing to make it to the round of 16 for which Portugal and South Korea qualified from Group H.
- Uruguay beat Ghana but miss out on last-16 spot to South Korea on goals scoredby Pa Sport Staff on December 2, 2022
The Black Stars have also been knocked out of the World Cup after a 2-0 defeat.
- Negotiations begin for a global treaty on plastic pollutionby Jennifer McDermott on December 2, 2022
On Friday afternoon more than 2,000 experts will wrap up a week of negotiations on plastic pollution at one of the largest global gatherings ever to address what even industry leaders in plastics say is a crisis
- Paraguay rules out a Mercosur breakup and calls for consensus on decisionson December 2, 2022
Paraguayan Foreign Minister, Julio César Arriola, ruled out on Thursday a break up within the Southern Common Market (Mercosur) and ratified that his country supports that the decisions of that integration mechanism be adopted jointly and by consensus.
- Paraguayan President critical of Uruguay's plan to join other trade blocson December 1, 2022
Paraguay's President Mario Abdo Benítez Wednesday said that Uruguay's negotiating trade deals outside Mercosur were detrimental to the South American bloc's “essence.”
- Lacalle's bold diplomacy compromises future of Mercosuron November 30, 2022
Mercosur is facing yet a new crisis stemming from Uruguayan President Luis Lacalle Pou's eagerness to join any foreign trade alliance no matter what.
- Uruguay: former presidential bodyguard allegedly spied on opposition senators; Justice investigateson November 29, 2022
The analysis of hundreds of WhatsApp chats recovered from the cell phone of Alejandro Astesiano, the former personal custodian of Uruguayan President Luis Lacalle Pou, continues to provide investigators with crucial material in an unprecedented court case in Uruguay's political history.
- Seismic activity reported in Uruguayon November 29, 2022
Uruguayan authorities have confirmed that the department (province) of Florida has reported its second earthquake in 18 months after tremors were felt Sunday. Residents also said loud sounds similar to thunder or explosions were heard.
- Qatar 2022: Brazil advance, Uruguay need to beat Ghana to stand a chanceon November 28, 2022
Brazil edged Switzerland 1-0 Monday in their second World Cup Group G game Monday. The South Americans thus secured a berth in the round of 16, while the rest of the series is yet to be decided Friday following a 3-3 draw between Serbia and Cameroon, although the latter seems to have more of an uphill task when they take on the five-time champions.